Forum

Giulio B. pre-practice journal

Personal practice journals
81 posts • Page 1 of 91, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9

Giulio B. pre-practice journal

Postby Giulio B. » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:12 am

I was uncertain whether to copy-paste the old thread or to start anew, synthesizing stuff. This is because my threads are usually quite moody lol, so they get messy.

I've been in the dharma field since five years ago, and discovered the pragmatic dharma community two years ago. Done things on-and-off. I wasn't able to achieve tangible results. This is due to an intricate psychopathology (deeply-rooted depression, an extremely tenacious ocd, and consequences) that opposes most kind of meditation approaches. I am pre-nana and my concentration faculty is untrained. My road-map is as of always to set up the conditions for a trasformative practice to take off and get awakened, through doing the same things you do.

My favorites are noting, concentration on the abdominal movements, and something i call "writing". "Writing" is about writing down and trying to map the emotions that arise. It has the power to trigger in me interest instead of frustration, so It's what brought me to acquire the most self-knowledge.

Actually i'm somewhat confused, don't have a fixed (mandatory) practice schedule and any momentum. This is because it's five years that i'm constantly trying to set one up but have always failed at it. So I recently stopped to consider whether a more libertarian approach would be better. Rough out though i do something at evening time, and as an average it may be every other day.

I mentioned a strong ocd: let me just name it, even though being "content" is not that important for the sake of vipàssana. I have a spinal problem (a kind of hunchback) that causes me chronic pain, so i cannot sustain long-time sittings and also 20-minutes sittings can get troublesome. So I prefer to meditate lying down on a carpet. Being a hard surface and my eyes open, i can preserve a fair amount of attention, and i have to work with that anyway. "Writing" is done at a table instead, preferably in the library. :) it does not always work though, so it's not the holy grail.
Giulio B.

Re: Giulio B. pre-practice journal

Postby Giulio B. » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:10 pm

1) Noted for 15 minutes. Frequent: "hearing, pressure, seeing, knowing, thinking, remembering, speculation". Less frequent: "fear, dryness, pulsation, image, judgment".

2) Easy notes like "hearing, seeing, pressure" are used very frequently, particularly when spacing out. It looks as they are used robotically to prevent moments of speechlessness, that would lead to what I call *fear of failure*, one of my most recurring fears.
Giulio B.

Postby Giulio B. » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Noted for 15 minutes. Same dynamics as yesterday, except more sleepiness. Started out with counting 3x10, focusing on the mechanical movements of the abdomen with good dedication.
Giulio B.

Postby Russell » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:45 pm

When i used to suddenly not have anything to note (the speechlessness you mention) I would note 'hunting' or 'nothing' or simply just go back to 'rising' and 'falling'. Keep at it. Hope that helps.
Russell

Postby kennethfolk » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Giulio, I'd like to hear more about the pulsing. Where do you feel it? How big is the area involved? What is the frequency of the pulsing? Does the size, location, frequency, or strength of the pulsing change over time? How does it change. Track it like one of those moving weather maps you see on the evening news. Become the world's foremost authority on your own pulsing. Tell us about it here.
kennethfolk

Postby JLaurelC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:15 am

Good work practicing with a sore back. As for the depression, people continue with their medical interventions as they pursue practice. I wish you all the best.
JLaurelC

Postby Giulio B. » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:52 pm

I read this now. Thank you infinitely. This evening 15-minutes noting, like the previous times but noted "emptiness", "void", "hopelessness" in addition.

Russell wrote:When i used to suddenly not have anything to note (the speechlessness you mention) I would note 'hunting' or 'nothing' or simply just go back to 'rising' and 'ft it here.

This time I noted "speechlessness" and "fear". I can tell that when this happens there are thoughts and fears going on.

kennethfolk wrote:Giulio, I'd like to hear more about the pulsing. Where do you feel it? How big is the area involved? What is the frequency of the pulsing? Does the size, location, frequency, or strength of the pulsing change over time? How does it change. Track it like one of those moving weather maps you see on the evening news. Become the world's foremost authority on your own pulsing. Tell us about it here.

It's mainly in the abdominal area. It is the heartbeat resonating through the lungs to the abdomen. The frequency is more or less stable. Sometimes it changes qualities, for example it may start vibrating or giving a sort of "empty stomach" feeling. Sometimes it gets powerful, and feels like a subwoofer.

JLaurelC wrote:Good work practicing with a sore back. As for the depression, people continue with their medical interventions as they pursue practice. I wish you all the best.

TY for the remainder. Although I must say, Me, drugs and psychotherapies, as well as depression and western approaches in general, we have a long passionate story of hate. :mrgreen:
Giulio B.

Postby kennethfolk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:10 am

Keep investigating the pulsing, Giulio. I need to hear more about it. Are there sub-pulses? Flutters? Say more about the changes and vibrations. Don't be satisfied to float in the froth on the surface of your experience. Stay with something for a while, be persistant. Become the world's foremost authority on Giulio's pulsing. Report back here. Give us lots of detail.
kennethfolk

Postby Giulio B. » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:47 pm

kennethfolk wrote:Keep investigating the pulsing, Giulio. I need to hear more about it. Are there sub-pulses? Flutters? Say more about the changes and vibrations. Don't be satisfied to float in the froth on the surface of your experience. Stay with something for a while, be persistant. Become the world's foremost authority on Giulio's pulsing. Report back here. Give us lots of detail.

I like the task and have taken it up. Thanks. I'm going to answer some questions by myself.
Giulio B.

Postby Giulio B. » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:08 pm

I'm currently doing 15 minutes of noting (choiceless, silent) followed by 15 minutes of concentration on the pulsing sensations (hearthbeat) at the abdominal level.

Noting: this evening there have been some harsh manifestations so i'd be better off not saying anything. But anyway. Perceiving 'decay' I sometimes ask myself what would feel like being agonizing, so i find myself picturing the panicking, maddening feelings of gravely ill people, and start to resonate. So in the end i noted "despair" and "fear" for the first 10 minutes. This is ok.

Conc. On Pulsing: feels relaxing. Althought Kenneth put it in terms of doing a sort of vipassana centered on this set of sensations, i feel more like they're solidifying and the focus polarizing on a small area of the abdomen. This happened naturally, or maybe because of lazyness.

I'm taking it slowly to avoid burnouts.
Giulio B.

Next

81 posts • Page 1 of 91, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9

Return to Practice Journals