Forum

Pablo P. Practice Journal

Personal practice journals
112 posts • Page 7 of 121 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12

Re: Pablo P. Practice Journal

Postby PabloP » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:16 pm

Date: 03/30/2013
Pre-Meditative Context: help today a friend with his move to another flat (I'm becoming an expert ) so I had some minor aches in the lower ribs.
Length of Sits: 2 x 45' in the afternoon
Posture: half-lotus
Cutting Edge Insight Stage of the Session: Low EQ
Meditative Techniques Utilized: first session just choiceless awareness; second session noting out loud physical sensations, then silently feeling-tones and thoughts, and finally aversion parameter evaluation (APE).
General Thoughts:
* Coolness keeps spreading and easily shows up and flow down from the top of the head. Minor uneasiness in the chest. No problem in the throat.
* Thoughts (which are noted as not-self) arise mostly at the beginning of the in-breath, and occasionally in the out-breath.
* A couple of times spotted aversion 0 in a narrow focus, which triggered spaciousness and calmness. Just a few seconds latter, aversion grew on a general whole-body basis.
* In between sessions, lying in bed I noticed that (pre-Jhana) tension arises on its own, with no aversion triggering it.
What worked, what didn't: it has worked to change from a broad to a narrow focus in APE. This is the first time I did two sessions in a row.
Aversion baseline: 3 , low point: 0, high point: 4
Noting Dynamics: In the first session I just corrected the body, did a few notes on physical sensations but just watched thoughts and physical sensations, in particular how coolness spreads on its own but is also responsive to will. What was interesting is that I could see the pattern of thoughts arising with the breath cycle. Mostly appeared in the beginning of the in-breath and only a few in the out-breath.

In the second session, started noting warmth and hotness in the arms and torso, stings in the lower ribs, coolness in the dantien and down from the crown to the brow chakra (later felt too in the opposite point of brow chakra). Then vibrations set in, but just little. With no Qigong practice for over a week, the big vibrations went down, but little ones still spreading from the lower torso to the arms. Later switched to feeling-tones noting, all of them related to physical sensations. Then, focused in APE. Aversion baseline was 3. I narrow the aversion focus into specific physical sensations. They went down from 3 to 2 or 1. Sometimes, after vibrating they disappeared. A couple of times it went down to aversion 0, and there was a sense of spaciousness and calmness. Just watching with no intention. The first time it lasted longer (~10-15 seconds) the second just a few seconds.

Goal for Next Session: Keep exploring the APE, and relate coolness with aversion and expectation. Note feeling-tones before APE, and link them to thoughts.
PabloP

Postby PabloP » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Date: 04/01/2013
Pre-Meditative Context: yesterday I had a headache so I skipped the practice. Today I tried Justin's Mind Blown app for a few minutes and then use it in my first sit. 15 minutes stretching and Qigong (which I needed). Just before sitting, I had fearful fantasies to other stuff (which I noted as aversion to sit).
Length of Sits: 45' and 30' in the afternoon
Meditative Techniques Utilized: first session I noted with the app for 24 minutes and the rest was choice-less awareness; second session noting out loud physical sensations, then silently feeling-tones and thoughts, and briefly APE.
General Thoughts:
* Even though I know I'm noting more than one sensation per second and perhaps on average one ever 1.5 seconds, with the app I get to know that the gap is 3.5 seconds !!!
* Today it was hard work to climb past DÑ.
What worked, what didn't: Able to do two sessions in a row, and against all odds tap Low EQ.
Noting Dynamics: In the first session, with the app I noted mainly physical sensations. Noted lots of tightness, itches, heat, tension. Then, some coolness in the dantien and mingmen and later vibrations in the column and arms. There were some pressure in the crown, not pleasurable but painless. When I switched to choice-less awareness (app off), I noted lots of proto-thoughts and noted them as not-self. Some discomfort in the chest, tightness in the temples and the throat. Nothing serious but persistent. Then there was coolness in the lower and high abdomen, the top of the head and some mix sensations in the chest (uneasiness and coolness), but had hot temperature in the face, specially when some thoughts were doing its things. Briefly noted calmness and spaciousness at the end of the session.

In the second session, the coolness was already present and the uneasiness in the chest too. It kept there for long, adding discomfort in the throat and some light tensions in the head. When noting feeling-tones, most were unpleasant or neutral. Relief (vanishing) was the only pleasant sensations. At some point of time there was coolness running up from the neck almost to the Crown. I tried to call the opening of the Crown Chakra. A few seconds later it open, and some cool sensations (mixed with unpleasant things and warmer sensations) flew down to the Brow Chakra. Noted again coolness in the lower and upper torso and the top of the head, but heat in the face. I did very little APE noting, but the general baseline was 3. I noted the vibrations in column from the neck upwards. After a minute or so, aversion 3 went down to zero. I proceed to note the same at the top of the column, and it was more difficult but finally the vibrations vanished. I ended the session shortly after, as the leg was giving pain, and there is much more harder to let go.
Goal for Next Session: Keep exploring the APE, and relate coolness with aversion and expectation. Note feeling-tones before APE, and link them to thoughts.
PabloP

Postby PabloP » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Date: 04/02/2013
Pre-Meditative Context: 15' of stretching and Qigong.
Length of Sits: 45' in the evening
Meditative Techniques Utilized: 20' noting with the app, then physical sensations noting silently, added later feeling-tones, and briefly APE.
General Thoughts:
* Tried again timing the seconds per note gap, and it's 1.7, much what I've previously thought. I'll check for some days more, to be sure I'm not spacing out too much.
* Reached Low EQ faster this time, while noting with the app.
* When reaching aversion zero (it's coming faster), spaciousness and coolness spread.
What worked, what didn't: n/a
Aversion baseline: 3 , low point: 0, high point: 3
Noting Dynamics: I'll have to change the method and take some written notes after the session, because I cannot accurately recall the dynamics of the session. When noting with the app I was much more concentrated, and only a few thoughts did arise. Went through the A&P stuff, mild DÑ signs (some uneasiness in the chest and upper back). Had coolness spread in the front and back, up the spine, down to the Brow Chakra, and down the abdomen. Noted pleasant cool sensations in the dantien. When doing the APE stuff, at aversion zero the narrow sensation spotted finally vanished and displayed spaciousness and cool sensations.
Goal for Next Session: Do the aversion noting seriously for 20 minutes or more, don't hang up too much exploring the cool sensations.
PabloP

Postby PabloP » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:39 am

Date: 04/04/2013
Pre-Meditative Context: runny nose, overwhelmed by the new tasks at the 14 hours long daily job
Meditative Techniques Utilized: 10' noting with the app, then physical sensations noting silently, added briefly feeling-tones, and then APE.
General Thoughts:
* Reached Low EQ while noting with the app.
* When reaching aversion zero, things vanished, but when I tried to broaden the area of attention, when the aversion vanished in the new spot, the aversion surfaced again in the older spot.
* Mix flows of heat and coolness in the dantien. Coolness only in the Third Eye.
* There's a position of the eyes (up and somewhere to the right) where there's a general sense of aversion zero.
What worked, what didn't: it stroke me how near Low EQ was, despite having little concentration due to the running nose.
Noting Dynamics: Noted fast, silently physical sensations for 10 minutes. Without my Qigong practice, vibrations came in late. There were a few tensions in the eyeballs and twitches in the face, but no problems in the throat or chest. Spaciousness settled in even while noting fast, which surprised me, and usually I had to take a lay back position for it to happen. Next, did a few feeling-tones notes and then started with APE. Even with poor concentration, tensions vanished when reaching aversion zero. I tried to apply it to leg pain with mixed results (aversion 2 was the lowest point), and to coolness/heat in the dantien with no results. Noted that there is a position of the eyes (up and somewhere to the right) where there's a general sense of aversion zero.
Goal for Next Session: Explore this eyes position.
PabloP

Postby PabloP » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Date: 04/05/2013
Pre-Meditative Context: n/a
Length of Sits: 30' in the evening
Cutting Edge Insight Stage of the Session: DÑ / Low EQ
Meditative Techniques Utilized: 10' noting with the app, 20' noting silently the 4F plus APE.
General Thoughts:
* Finally the tension & discomfort in the solar plexus appeared, which I was expecting as it has been a problem spotted long ago in Taichi. Heat and coolness in one spot. Cool inside, heat outside.
* When reaching aversion zero, spaciousness happens but next builds up expectation which tense up in the jaw and the crown.
* What I found is that if penetrating the object of observation, the thing vanishes but there's left some tension, that quickly builds up somewhere near. Instead, if I "touch" lightly the object, the aversion goes down to zero. This is related with what I wrote in the previous report about the eyes staring upwards and to the side.
Noting Dynamics: n/a
Goal for Next Session: n/a.
PabloP

Postby PabloP » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Date: 04/08/2013
Pre-Meditative Context: I was experimenting a mild DÑ throughout the past 7-10 days off-cushion, but when on meditation the symptoms were even fewer, and I was able to reach Low EQ, meaning calmness and spaciousness, coupled with intermittent discomfort in throat, chest and skull. As I'm no expert, it was not easy to know if what I was experimenting off-cushion was DÑ, as I was struggling with daily life problems (new +12 hours long job with only 3-4hs sleep before working, just moved to a new home, and domestic issues). I was expecting for DÑ some nightmares or throwing-up off cushion, or lots of strange images on-cushion. But none of them happen. Instead, there was only irritation, headaches at the evening and lots of aversion thoughts or melodies in my head (which usually are my daily "jhanas" as I'm an amateur musician, but lately they were invasive, like thought-looping). Last Sunday, it was the peak of DÑ and ended with a lovers' quarrel. Paradoxically, on Monday I woke up fresh, with a clean mind, and no headaches.

But DÑ isn't totally over. Today, I woke up from the nap in what looks like 3rd Jhana, with a growing display of dark-colored tibetan-arabic patterns moving in 2D/3D. In the past few days, I had some similar patterns but with luminous whitish colors.

Cutting Edge Insight Stage of the Session: briefly Low EQ
Meditative Techniques Utilized: 10' noting with the app, 35' noting silently the 4FN plus APE.
General Thoughts:
* There's still some DÑ discomfort in the chest, but coupled with coolness flowing down to the dantien. This time there was no coolness in the Crown and Brow Chakras.
Noting Dynamics: Before the meditation did 15' of stretching and Qigong. Nevertheless, when sitted I didn't start in A&P as usual but in the 3C's, with some twitches, stings and correcting posture. After 10' I was noting vibrations and coolness in the dantien and mingmen. Noted also lots of reporting thoughts and also proto-thoughts. When left behind the app, and started to note feeling-tones, there were a couple of fear thoughts and images, and throat vibrations. Then there were coolness flowing down from the throat to the chest and to the dantien. No coolness in the skull this time. The APE noting sucked, was not able to do much despite giving it more time of the sit, but at least there were one time reaching aversion zero, sinking into a spacious darkness.
Goal for Next Session: Resume the daily practice and reporting.
PabloP

Postby PabloP » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:10 pm

Date: 04/10/2013
Pre-Meditative Context: When laying down in bed, I had a samatha experience, still being able to do some noting (I tried it on purpose) and not disturb by outward noise. I felt descending below my body, which correlated with eyes sight going higher.
Length of Sits: first 40', second 25' in the evening
Cutting Edge Insight Stage of the Session: A&P
Meditative Techniques Utilized: First sit: 10' physical sensations silent noting with the app, 35' noting silently the 4FN plus APE. Second sit: feeling-tones silent noting, general out-loud noting, choiceless awareness.
General Thoughts:
* Getting back to the beginning. Vibrations were the cutting edge of the meditation. No coolness but warmth. Lots of thoughts (though proto-thoughts noted as not-self), many of the reporting ones. I switched to out-loud noting as nothing was working, even though I'm not feeling tired, irritation was gone, and had a satisfactory day-job.
Aversion baseline: n/a
Noting Dynamics: not relevant
Goal for Next Session: Do some days of out-loud noting to get back on track.
PabloP

Postby PabloP » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Date: 04/12-04/13-04/14
Pre-Meditative Context: 10' stretching and Qigong. Went to zafu with vibrations on torso and limbs
Length of Sits: 35', 30', 35'
Cutting Edge Insight Stage of the Session:
Meditative Techniques Utilized: 10' physical sensations silent noting with the app, rest of time noting out-loud or silently whichever was best for the situation. Added some feeling-tones silent noting and APE.
General Thoughts:
* Unempowering thoughts because of sliding-back
* Sweet taste below the tip of the tongue in the three sessions
* Sometimes the Crown Chakra opens, but instead of coolness, warmth flows down to the Brow Chakra
Aversion baseline: ---
Noting Dynamics: First with the app: outward noise, tightness, heat, stings, tension, release, thoughts, sweet taste. When switched off the app: subtle vibrations in the arms, heat and warmth, light tightness in the throat. Vibrations when looking closer to objects. Then fear images and lots of thoughts. Thinking about quitting meditation for a while.
Goal for Next Session: Keep doing out-loud noting to get back on track.
PabloP

Postby PabloP » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Date: 04/15/13
Pre-Meditative Context: OBE when laying in bed before going to sleep. 15' ReWire concentration app. 10' stretching and Qigong.
Length of Sits: 40'
Cutting Edge Insight Stage of the Session: A&P
Meditative Techniques Utilized: out-loud and silent noting. Added some feeling-tones silent noting and APE.
General Thoughts:
* Felt good after the session
* Getting back to the concentration practice through the app seems (and feels) like the right decision nowadays.
Aversion baseline: ---
Noting Dynamics: Noise, tightness, twitches & stings, tension, release, vibrations, thoughts, sweet taste. Vibrations steadily showing in the shoulders and arms. Then coolness appeared in the mingmen (lumbar region) and with time expanded to the cervical and then the neck. When trying to reach the Crown, it triggered tightness in the throat (it didn't seem to be a postural problem). When looked closer to this discomfort or other places, vibrations were already there and going deeper, the discomfort had no center. Some pre-jhana lights. Scattered along the sit, there were some of the abstract colored images I posted months ago. No fear images this time. Lots of thoughts, some about reporting other loop-thinking, little seen as not-self. Ended with no leg pain (but really hadn't have spent much time on the sit).
Goal for Next Session: Keep doing out-loud noting to get back on track and the concentration practice.
PabloP

Postby PabloP » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:26 am

Trying out the Word-It-Out webpage:
Attachments
Noting KFD  -  04-16-13.png
Noting KFD - 04-16-13.png (74.17 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
PabloP

PreviousNext

112 posts • Page 7 of 121 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12

Return to Practice Journals