Forum

NickP's practice notes

Personal practice journals
120 posts • Page 5 of 121, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12

Re: NickP's practice notes

Postby NickP » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Retreat report. From Thursday 28th afternoon to Monday 1st noon, so 4 days, silent at Gaia House, with Jake Dartington and Kirsten Kratz.

Goal: stream entry
Result: epic win. But no stream entry ;)

Day 0
Arrived in the early afternoon full of energy, and even when the retreat was starting formally at 6PM, I used the extra time before that for walking meditation with the intention to set up some good momentum for continuous attention throughout dinner, which wasn't to be held in silence. Noting out loud for 45 minutes with good flow, with much pressure at the right temple and vibrating visual field towards the last half of the walk.
Hard to keep attention continuous through dinner and improving slightly during the dharma talk later. Sat for 45 minutes after that, with fireworks similar to the walk towards the end.

Day 1
The general feeling of this day was that of a struggle. Started the day with some samatha and was able to get into a strong 1st and 2nd jhanas, and then didn't try to go further on the samatha side so I started noting. The energy ran out very soon, and I found myself battling sleepiness and dreaminess big time, during most of the sits. To top it all, I decided that during the rest period after lunch I'd use the time to do walking meditation. About the worst thing I could have done for my energy. The walks were relatively mindful but still much more distracted than I would have liked. No recognisable progression through the ñanas.

Day 2
Woke up with much more energy, and most meditations were spent in good mindfulness, but still was sloppy off the cushion. Good concentration up to 2nd jhana in the first sit. Then did pure vipassana and managed to climb up the ñanas throughout the morning, at the apparent pace of one vipassana jhana per period of practice (30 minutes). Also used the rest period after lunch to do walking meditation. The sit after that was very sleepy, but only for that sit. Mindfulness good, and for the rest of the day I kept feeling strong pressure at both temples, intense tension at the third eye area and also a lot of tingling at the crown that soon morphed into pressure, like someone trying to drill a hole into it. In one of the last sits I felt this sucking sensation under the crown. All this activity was met with much excitement and the heart was often beating very fast when the energetic activity at the crown unfolded. Lots of Path thoughts, progress thoughts, and trying to figure out what is missing from my investigation before I can get Path. Spending some time caught in trains of thought about that before reacting and noting them as just one more phenomenon. Beating myself up after reacting to them, but that bit was seen immediately. Towards the end of the day, concentration waned somewhat and I found myself wandering in thoughts about random stuff. But path thoughts and frustration about not getting it were big.

As an aside, since about two months ago, pretty much ALL of my sittings feature a thought about different moments of my trip to Dublin in February last year. It wasn't an important trip for me, it lasted only a weekend, and I never think about it off the cushion, it's just something random that comes up. I've done other weekend trips but they never appear during my sits. It's so random. The retreat included its fair share of them.

Day 3
I woke up full of energy after a pleasant night's rest and noted from the moment I woke up for the first time. It was really easy to do it, as the thoughts at that time were so gross and obvious. Got into the first sit while already noting, and I got the same pattern of sensations described in Day 2, but less intense and with extra warmth added on the whole left side of the face. Path thoughts were less pervasive and I felt more accepting of reality just the way it was. At 11 I had my only individual interview with the teacher, where I described my experiences and striving and asked "what's missing from my practice to get Stream Entry", to which he answered "what's missing from the present moment?" and "see if you can balance your thoughts on the future and the developmental approach with more of a sense of acceptance of what is already here", and finally recommended I do a longer retreat. I took in really deeply his advice on letting go, although my initial thought about it was "but I'm going for stream entry not rigpa!". During the rest of the day I gradually let go of my intention to "get" Path and the mind grew increasingly separate from those thoughts. Path thoughts kept arising, but I wasn't invested in them any longer. Together with this, more thoughts started to arise about the after-retreat life. By the time I fully internalised this acceptance, my mindfulness was already getting weaker. Physical sensations towards the middle and end of this day were of the same type and intensity as on Day 2. The were quite a few moments when I asked myself, both during and outside meditation, what was missing from the present moment, and I found all was perfect. A few seconds later, a nagging mind thread would kick off along the lines of "isn't that called Conformity? Why am I not enlightened yet?". That thought took progressively longer to arise as the day went on.

Day 4
Very little (around 45 minutes) formal meditation and silence broke quite early, so little to comment at this point. Integrating the effects. Mainly, craving for Path has diminished noticeably. It is still desired by the thinking mind, but the gut has definitely let go of it at some level. Unsure about the extent of this letting go, and the extent of just scripting it because I rationally know it's needed, but I guess time will tell.

End of the retreat report.

Some overly intellectual reflections on what I thought was a requirement for Path, spun on purpose when in bed after my last meditation yesterday (also lying down in bed, a nice samatha practice which helps greatly for sleep when not sleepy) :
1. Continuity of attention (source: http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/gue ... ge_2468896 ). I initially aimed hardcore for 100% mindfulness throughout the day and all I got is burnout. I realised I needed to be gentle, even at the expense of some lapses. But then I got more lapses than I would have liked.
2. Trying to figure out what core process of the mind I hadn't noticed yet (source: http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/gue ... ge/2472907 , search for "land a Fruition"). That led me to intellectual, conceptual enquiry, but I couldn't find any way to do a direct investigation of that question.
3. Balance concentration and investigation while powering up both of them with energy.
4. Letting go.
5. Particular experiences, like energy patterns shifting from the third eye area to the crown (got quite a bit of those, see various practice logs in DhO around Hi EQ) and seeing the mind inclining to investigate the empty parts during the vibrations, like silences while the hearing is vibrating or dark frames while the visual field is flashing (got a little of those as well during day 3 but could as well have scripted them massively. Source: http://alohadharma.wordpress.com/the-map/equanimity-2/ , see "tapping").
6. An amazing insight (source: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... tml#ch6.12 , and also various practice logs). But also some other logs don't feature this, so I wonder if it's universal and fixed at ~15 minutes before the Path moment.

It seems to me that 1, 2, 3 or 4 or some combination of them is required for Path, but I'm not sure what the relative importance of each is. And that 5 and 6 are just markers expected to arise en route to Path, and one can't do anything direct to experience them, they are just byproducts of this development. But I'm not sure if they are necessary, sufficient or both, for a Path moment to occur.
Reflect less and note more? Maybe. But also figuring these things out intellectually will help me better understand how to best allocate these efforts.
NickP

Postby JLaurelC » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks for the detailed report, Nick. What's required is for the time to be right, I think. You're doing everything you can as far as I can see. Stuff is working itself out during this process. What happens is that the mind opens up more and more as you go through it and then, one day, it's done.
JLaurelC

Postby PabloP » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:00 pm

Hey, I hope you'll soon tell us about your path moment!
PabloP

Postby Dan G » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:34 am

Thanks for sharing your report Nick. I really think you have a great attitude about your practice which seems like such a powerul ally.
Dan G

Postby NickP » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks all for your kind words.

Yes Laurel, probably that's what's required. After reading your answer, I realised that my conception was that once you get it all right, the Path moment happens right there, in that instant. And it follows logically: if I didn't get Path, then I didn't get it all right, therefore I was doing something wrong. And my quest was to find out what that was. Now I understand that I am doing all I can, and that will make the process unfold. By applying a gentle effort and not getting in the way, I will allow Stream Entry to happen...eventually

I am more convinced than ever that Stream Entry can be attained. At the same time, I am more doubtful than ever about whether I'm scripting my own experience to follow the mixture of sources I read. Fortunately, a fruition can't be scripted that easily.

Yesterday I had a rough comeback, stressed, mindfulness low, energy low (slept few hours the night before). My computer blew up at work and I had to reinstall everything at the replacement they gave me while still delivering what I had committed to do. I ended up doing all that without working longer hours, by ruthlessly multitasking, but that stressed me out and drained me of energy.

In the evening then I had a session with Ron, we did a 30-minute guided meditation going up the ñanas, ending in high EQ. A&P appeared almost instantly, and I spent the last 25 minutes or so, in either low or high EQ. A&P for me, as Ron confirmed from my real-time reporting, was a very intense pleasurable eye fluttering with bright visuals. Low EQ was a fixed strong pleasant sensation in the third eye area and dancing pressure at the right or both temples. High EQ was a dancing pleasant tingling or pressure or coolness in the crown area, sometimes concentrated around the crown and sometimes forming a dancing curved line starting at the crown and ending directly above the third eye area, bright visuals, the same dancing pressure at the right or both temples, and sometimes feeling like my Axis vertebra is being pulled up. I kept moving back and forth between low and high EQ, spending a greater proportion of the time at high EQ as time went by. The practice he recommended then is keeping at observing the dance around the crown, become absorbed in it as in jhana, see it intensify and unfold on its own.

Today I sat for 15 minutes at lunchtime, started at A&P immediately, went straight to high EQ in less than a minute and stayed there, watching the dance. Very little desire (or ability) to control any of it. Feeling I couldn't do a samatha sit if I tried, given that this crown activity is so intense. Time passed very fast.
Lots of crown activity off the cushion. It's there without me even thinking about it or doing anything or meditating. Some third area activity off the cushion whenever there is no crown activity, but that's not new.
In the afternoon I had a meeting with my manager. The last half of it was spent in witness mode, watching as "it" spoke, empathised, listened. I didn't plan or aim to do it, it just happened. In fact, I was trying to jerk myself back to "normal" mode, with little success, as I thought he could notice and it might seem weird.

Meditation is happening on its own, at last! I found myself vipassana-ising at times I'd normally not think of meditating. The flipside is that when I do want to meditate, I get distracted very easily, it's so slippery. It's like whether I'm sitting or not, the mind meditates a fraction of the time.
After a session in the gym: Intention to recall locker number --> mind grabbing the memory --> memory being represented as a number --> number being brought to the foreground of attention. A process that took less than a quarter of a second overall, was SEEN in real time as it unfolded.

Just sat for an hour, intending to do 20 min samatha, then 40 min vipassana. Sensations as described in low & high EQ were so much more intense than the breath, that I just spent the whole hour doing vipassana (technique in italics above, no noting), watching those sensations dance. Mind slippery, lapses and periods lost in thought were progressively longer as the sit went on ( >50% towards the end). When I realised I had been lost, just went back to watching, but strangely enough, there was zero frustration. At some point the thought arose: no frustration doesn't mean I'm equanimous, it means I became complacent. I was amused at that thought.
No Dublin thoughts today.
NickP

Postby NickP » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Energetic activity is calming down in intensity. Distractedness off the cushion is higher than usual, but when I focus for 3 seconds straight I get these energy patterns again. In the last couple days these patterns are either pleasant energy in the third eye area or dancing coolness at the crown, the two patterns don't usually appear together, and it's split evenly, about 50% of the time each. They don't appear in the morning, i.e. before my lunchtime sit. Markers of ñanas lower than EQ haven't appeared since yesterday@lunchtime.

Mood is quite normal, I keep thinking about Stream Entry quite a lot but without being invested in it.

Lunchtime sit (15m): breath counting for the first couple minutes, then focusing on the energy patterns. As soon as I sat I was in Low EQ (per the definition in the previous post) and went to High EQ in less than a minute and stayed there.

Evening sit (1h): 20m samatha anapanasati, then 40m vipassana, focusing on the energy patterns. No noting. If I got into any jhana in the samatha part, it was a very weak one, but concentration felt good. It carried over to the other part of the sit, probably I spent 30% of the time distracted compared to 50% yesterday. Still higher than usual but I don't get worked up about it, it's just the way it is. That doesn't mean I don't make an effort to stay present.
Vipassana part of the sit: energy patterns were probably 90% high-EQ-like, and 10% low-EQ-like. The high EQ patterns are still dancing as I type this. Anticipation built up a couple times, with a higher heart rate, but now it doesn't last as long, thumping doesn't get as intense, and it doesn't trump mindfulness. For a couple minutes, the dancing coolness gave way to downward pressure at the surface of the crown, like a finger pushing down. At some other point, feeling the Axis vertebra pulled up as if by a hook. At some other point, feeling like a bubble growing in the pineal gland area, while at the same time feeling that the air pressure at the Eustachian tube next to the nose is higher than the external pressure. That bit gave way to a wave of anticipation that lasted around a minute. Lots of thoughts on how I'll report the sit.
NickP

Postby NickP » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Just sat for 60 minutes, back to noting. Comments:
- I've got the Cirque du Soleil performing on top of my head and around the crown. If there was any hint of unpleasantness to it, it would be unbearable, so constant and intense it is.
- If the thinking mind is Japan, thoughts are earthquakes and the vipassana-ising mind is a seismographer, then tonight I saw thoughts measuring Richter 4+, whereas normally it feels like only Richter 6+ thoughts register in the seismographer.
Last edited by NickP on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickP

Postby Rod1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Nick, you must be so close. Fantastic.
Rod1

Postby NickP » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:07 pm

I hope so!

Just meditated for 4 hours, as follows:
- 1h sitting 15m anapanasati samatha, 45m noting
- 30m walking, noting
- 45m sitting, noting
- 45m walking, noting
- 1h sitting, vipassana freestyle

Comments:
- Very engaged, feeling like exploring a vast new territory, feeling like a beginner. Little SE anxiety and more calm and contentment, feeling like I'm finally doing vipassana. Time passed really fast. Well, except in the last half an hour, which was plagued with lapses, aversion, and lack of clarity.
- Richter 6+ continues to be the baseline, but was able to get into longish periods of awareness at Richter 4+. And a few Richter 3s were noticed as well. What I mean by that is, I'm starting to see, but only when very engaged and attentive, how memories are collected and transformed into thoughts, how attention goes from one object to the next (and there's a weird infinitesimal gap when attention is moving between objects), how vedana becomes intention, and how intention becomes action. Those subtle processes are best seen when not noting, but when I stop noting I space out too easily. Trying to balance the two. A reflection: If I need to make that my baseline level of attention before I can reach Conformity (see Hierarchy of Vipassana Practice, level 9) then there's a long way to go. But I'm not bothered in the least, I'm happy to stay at this level of EQ for a long while.
- Energy wise, crown activity is what happens 85% of the time, and the other 15% is third eye tension. Pineal gland bubbles, crown tingling and pressure, Axis vertebra pulled up, Eustachian tube pressure differential, pressure on temples, curved line of coolness from the crown to the third eye, all of them have repeated ad nauseam. I.e., to the point that they don't kick off a wave of anticipation anymore.
- In the last sit, I saw clearly, and many times, that while the visual field was flashing extremely fast, one or two of those vibrations were "played" in slow motion so as to show a continuous variation in luminosity, interspersed with cycles that otherwise seemed discrete (light/dark). I don't think that's the same as the tapping in the retreat report above (see 5.), but it does seem the same thing as the "chop, chop, chop" described by Russell (http://kennethfolkdharma.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2&start=70#p82). The "slow motion" speed and duration weren't always the same, and didn't seem to be converging to any value.
NickP

Postby NickP » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Just meditated for 3 hours, as follows:
- 1h sitting: 15m anapanasati samatha, 45m noting
- 30m walking, noting
- 45m sitting, noting
- 45m walking, noting

Comments:
- Physical sensations were the same as described yesterday, and the peak level of vipassana clarity similar. Crown/third-eye proportion was ~75/25. This time, the sittings were very engaged and noting all phenomena down to a great level of subtlety (not more than yesterday), while the walks and a small part of the second sitting felt like a mini-DN. Not much clarity, little subtlety, noticeable aversion to both the various phenomena and to meditation itself. And I got hungry. No change to the Cirque du Soleil activity during this mini-DN.
- Had 2 or 3 moments where I got some insight into aspects of impermanence, no-self, and my thought patterns. I'd do them little justice trying to put them into words, but didn't seem earth-shattering.
- There are thoughts/thought patterns that seem to be on the edge of my awareness, they are very subtle and pass away too fast. Another layer of phenomena that needs to be investigated.
- Finding more OK-ness as a default reaction to things that used to be reacted to with craving/aversion. Not sure what things in particular: I found this during rapid-fire noting and didn't want to slow it down to take a mental note.
NickP

PreviousNext

120 posts • Page 5 of 121, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12

Return to Practice Journals