Forum

Rod's Practice Journal

Personal practice journals
100 posts • Page 6 of 101 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Re: Rod's Practice Journal

Postby Rod1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:53 am

Log Update 29/04/13

Meditated last night for 55 mins sitting and about 30 mins lying down. Noting all sensations of jhanas themselves. Once in 4th noted all sensations and back to seeing 3C's as much as possible. Remaining passive and watching rather than 'searching' for anything. This morning meditated for 60 mins before getting up - watched breath for about 10 mins then went straight to 4th jhana and noted all sensations. Pragmatic reason for this was wanting to start the work day with a clearer calm mind. Noted on the way to work on motorbike - mostly 'seeing' :) of course but found the concentration easy since its a concentrated activity that favours noting anyway. Also noted irritation at crazy drivers and at traffic not doing what I 'wanted it to do' - rich ego noting territory of course. Busy day today so only occasional noting of emotions during interaction with people etc.
Rod1

Postby Rod1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:24 am

Log Update 30/04/13

Flu gone. Last night I went for a slow walk around the neighbourhood noting steps. I slowed down to a point where I could do 2 notes per step (Heel, roll) I noticed (heel, roll, push, lift, forward, lower, heel etc etc) but unless I walked very very slowly, this was not possible to note. I will do this but last night did it for an hour - about 3 times round a suburban block. Got pretty focused just on the sensations in my feet. It was dark and quiet with very few people so made it easier to focus. Although to a passer-by I must have looked like some sort of praying mantis stalking along in the shadows

When I got home, sat for 60 mins and started at a high level of concentration. I noted all sensations through the jhanas and in the 4th jhana. Woke up at 1.30am feeling like I had slept alot longer. Watched and noted thoughts and sensations. Woke again around 3.30 and watched and noted again - hard to keep from getting swept up into thought streams - noted this too. Woke up at 6.00 and meditated till 7.00am moving quickly to 4th and noted sensations there. I was able to see the cause/effect of thoughts and tightness in the body. I also found that when intense itchy spots occurred on my face, I would note intention and scratch them. I noticed that they were different to normal itchy spots in that when I scratched them, there was no place that could be scratched it was almost under the skin. Strange - no actual point of irritation - just a region that really was just eased when the area was rubbed.

Really busy day so not much noting through the day except noting key emotional responses in certain situations - such as irritation, feeling threatened/insecure, etc. I hope to increase noting through the day when practice improves with .....practice
Rod1

Postby Rod1 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:41 am

Log Update 01/05/13

Last night did 60 mins walking meditation. Walked slow enough to note 3 movements per step using iphone app (heel, roll, push). Got very concentrated and when my mind wandered and I kept walking, the idea that this was happening without 'me' and was not 'me' emerged and became quite a strong object to investigate (not sure I am describing this very well). Also noted subtle feelings of sadness and melancholy. Once back home, I sat for 60 mins and found concentration very strong. I noted all sensations through jhanas to 4th and noted sensations there. I started to note sensations as 'not me' as I was able to see them. Went to sleep and woke up at 2.30 and noted sensations and thoughts. Still very difficult to remain uninvolved in thought streams and this is especially difficult in the early hours as the rested mind is very energetic and get very active. Therefore its a good opportunity to note it at its most vibrant I guess. Meditated for 60 mins at 6.00 and got up at 7.00. Felt very 'buzzy' - lots of varying vibratory energy as I lay in bed.
Once again, not alot of noting today since work was so busy with meetings all day
Rod1

Postby NickP » Wed May 01, 2013 5:19 pm

This is great.
These days, how does it feel to know these sensations as not self? Forced? Profound? Obvious and normal? Obvious and profound?
NickP

Postby Rod1 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:47 am

Hi Nick,
It felt firstly obvious but there was this little level beneath that was tantalising, a thread of something important. I explored but after a little time it became forced. So will keep gently teasing it out. Tonight got home very late so cannot do the walking meditation but will do tomorrow night. Will sit tonight instead.
Rod1

Postby Rod1 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:25 am

Log Update 03/05/13

Through the night I woke up alot and noted. Thoughts were very strong and sticky - it was hard to not get swept up in them. I tried to note them but ended up with a headache trying to note them rather than be them. A bit of sleep would have been good too. Meditated yesterday morning for 60 minutes noting sensations. I looked at the ubiquitous flashing in my field of vision and it seemed slower, I watched and could see the black sections between the visuals better than before. Not sure if it was flashing at a slower rate or my mind was faster/sharper. Noted all other sensations, reverting to breath and back to other sensations whilst going through jhanas to 4th.
Very busy day at work and then work dinner so didn't get home to very late so sat for 40 mins before going to sleep. Noted sensations and thoughts. On these buy weeks, I feel practice momentum slipping away which is frustrating. This morning I woke up at 6.00 and meditated till 7.00 going to 4th jhana directly and residing there inorder to refresh my mind. Hard to know if any of this is 'waking me up' at all. Around a basically happy disposition I see frustration, sadness, hope, then futility and aimlessness. I have learned that intellect will not help me here so I am leaning towards surrender, letting go and relentless enquiry to counter. It is now Friday night and I can finally wind down a little, focus on practice and treat the weekend like a mini retreat. ......oh and note my ass off
Rod1

Postby Rod1 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:18 am

Log Update 04/05/13

Last night did walking meditation for 70 minutes, getting easier and more coordinated. Still on 3 notes per step. Also noted irritation at cars and headlights etc. Very similar to sitting meditation now - mind wanders, note the thoughts and come back to noting steps. Moved awareness to the disconnection between steps and mind etc. Got home and sat for 60 minutes. Moved through jhanas slowly letting each develop and noted components of each more diligently. In 4th watched sensations particularly subtle vibrations in limbs and flashing in visual field. Late to bed so slept through to 5.30 and meditated tip 8.30. Watched breath then moved slowly through each jhana, watching for all factors for each and watching the mind states in each. In 4th watched body vibrations again and also watched violet blue shapes developing in the middle of the visual field. Gradually expanding like inkblots to cover most of the field but always changing in shape and intensity and flashing. I noted their impermanence. Then, for some reason they changed colour to cream white light and continued in the same way. I watched this for a while, noting impermanence. Maybe these were nimitta? Haven't really noticed them particularly before - this time, were quite distinct. Also watched thoughts form and watched how the mind was grabbing them and discerning their content - almost like an artisan, it was picking up what almost seemed random issueing forth of thoughts, and exploring, developing the content so that the two were almost indistinguishable - I can see that the term 'sticky' is very apt. In 4th jhana, thoughts are not so strong and frequent so I guess it was easier to watch and make sense of than normal? I noted the distinction between the thoughts and the mind then was aware of something else. Not sure - it was 'me'. What is 'me'? Where is 'me'? At this point I started to see that I was intellectualising and analysing rather than watching and stopped.

Sat this afternoon for 90 minutes slowly developing each jhana and watching the factors of each, surrendering to each and noting their impermanence. In 4th watched the equanimity and how it 'muted' external sensations (noises) and thoughts and feelings. I watched the subtle vibrations and tried to direct concentration to them, trying to feel vibrations and see flashing in the visual field at once. Awareness of the body is pretty low in 4th but i watched for boundaries or absence of them between my body and not my body. I tried to be more absorbed in this vibratory sensation to see what would happen. I started to sense particles vibrating and the normal mental picture of my body shape started to become indistinct (not sure this is describing things very well). Then moved awareness to my mind and thoughts, noted the distinction and then asked the question who is this? What is this? Where is this? At the asking of these questions, there was a little rush of excitement that I noted. I tried not to be distracted by it but too late! At that very focused point, it appeared these questions might yield something. It was like, I had been able to separate out components to a point where a different view might be available.

After that walked to the shops, noting steps (normal speed) to meet my wife for dinner. I think I am getting a better understanding of how to combine concentration and insight practice. Seems useful so far.
Rod1

Postby Rod1 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:19 am

Log Update 05/05/13

Sat last night for 60 mins noting sensations and awareness of impermanence and non-self, moving slowly through jhanas to 4th. Watched thoughts appear and noted the stickiness of the mind again. Noticing if other than mind was available to my awareness. Woke up at 6.00 and meditated till 8.00 moving to 4th jhana. Mind was more agitated usual and dropped out (presume fell asleep) whilst in 4th jhana then came to and visual field showed white spots evenly distributed across a black background not flashing, then gradually they started flashing and aggregating to ever smaller particles until the visual field looked like a snowy TV screen and returned to the usual shapes moving, forming and disappearing. Not sure what this was but was interesting. Was still in 4th jhana when I came to and continued on for a while and then finished the session. Noted for rest of day on and off and also leaned attention to awareness as distinct from mind. Lots of reading and contemplation today, intellectual exercise yes but letting it soak into practice and approach. So many questions but I probably would find the answers opaque unless I experienced them myself so will carry on careful not to intellectualise.
Rod1

Postby Rod1 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:01 am

Log Update 06/05/13

Walking meditation for 75 mins. Got quite focused and getting better at this, noting steps with 3 notes per step. Getting better at dwelling in awareness as I watch the mind and body, noting thoughts, sensations, emotions actions etc. Sat for 60 mins once I got home and focused on concentration practice and noting whilst in 4th jhana. Still noting mind activities and also noting jhana elements.

This morning meditated to 4th jhana and noted whilst there. Noted on the way to work. Through the day I watched the mind, being aware of the distinction of mind from my awareness and that most things I experience are ladened with fabrications of mind. This seems to be getting easier to disentangle them. Travelling for the rest of the week so hopefully greater chance to practice in hotel and on flights etc.
Rod1

Postby Rod1 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:17 am

Log Update 09/05/13

Travelling over the past few days for work so practice has been less structured but ongoing nevertheless. Meditation has been in shorter more frequent sessions with as much noting as possible. Being able to 'stand back' from the mind and more easily identify its activities without getting lost in content is getting easier but the 'stickiness' means that at this stage constant vigilance is needed. Sleep has been patchy with waking periods a good opportunity to note mind states and thoughts since the mind is very active at these times. Average meditation times have been 40 minutes with 3 times a day over the past 3 days possible (Morning, early evening and late evening). Some sessions using jhana and noting in 4th and others non-jhana or interspersed jhana and noting through. Over this time, itching and mental distraction has been disruptive and presume its either lagging concentration and/or a different stage on path - hopefully forward stage rather than regression. Back home tonight and chance to do walking meditation again.
Rod1

PreviousNext

100 posts • Page 6 of 101 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Return to Practice Journals