Forum

Energy system locations triggering Suddhavasa jhanas

Talk about general dharma and practice questions.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Energy system locations triggering Suddhavasa jhanas

Postby matthorn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:10 pm

I read a piece somewhere, I think by Jackson Wilshire, describing a session where Kenneth pointed out that the act of focusing gentle attention on particular energy system or body locations, combined with proper intent and being 3rd path or above, is able to trigger entry into the Suddhavasa jhanas. I think the trigger location for Pure Land One is the brow chakra or slightly above the brow chakra. Would anyone be able to point out corresponding body locations for the other Pure Land jhanas?

Also, is there a trigger location for nirodha samapatti? If so, what is it?

I do plan to schedule a session with Kenneth to walk through the PL jhanas, but I'd rather have some practice in advance. I really appreciate your help.
matthorn

Re: Energy system locations triggering Suddhavasa jhanas

Postby Russell » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:29 pm

I don't recall having a trigger location for the PL Jhana's but for NS it used to be like an inch behind the brow chakra. Now it just happens to me randomly. I haven't tried to do it on purpose in a long time.

What is your experience of the PL Jhana's so far?
Russell

Postby matthorn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:02 pm

I completed an insight cycle a couple of weeks ago and I've been experimenting since then. There's a feeling of energy flowing from the crown and the top of my head tingles, sometimes it feels like head hairs are trying to stand on end. Also gentle energy flowing directly from the eyes. The energy feels like it's 'circulating' in the head with the brow chakra as a center or meeting point; the energy flows out of the body from the crown and the physical eyes. The sensations of energy are gentle pressure associated with relaxation, tingling. The feeling of energy leaving the body is hard to describe but I suppose it's a feeling of gentle, calming pressure moving in waves upward and outward from the crown and the physical eyes. There's a point of pressure at the center of the brow chakra but it's more solid, throbbing, and diffuse than the one-pointed sharp, needly, or itchy feeling at the center of the brow that sometimes shows up during overly-effortful samatha practice or the A&P.

Some portion of attention is gathered at the brow chakra but overall I'd say attention is panoramic and able to jump around between phenomena without the solidity of the state suffering as a result.

There's some wave-like disruption at the edges or periphery of the visual field moving outward and inward from the center of attention. This disruption often lasts or becomes more pronounced when I focus on objects in the world (e.g. reading a book or computer screen) after exiting this state.

Mood-wise there's a very stable and equanimous feeling of calm understanding that is totally unique and new in my experience. The impression I had when first leaving this state is that it must be like what Buddha statues are feeling: If I enter the state with my eyes open, I want to look slightly downward with my head lowered slightly and a gentle smile. In MCTB Daniel says that gratitude is the defining factor of PL1. I don't know if gratitude is the right word for what I feel in this state, but it definitely lacks the sometimes-orgiastic quality of the joy in mundane jhana, nor does it have the sometimes-aloof quality of the equanimity in mundane jhanas. It somehow feels like the 'energy', feelings of sympathy and understanding, are flowing outward for the benefit of sentient beings.

I first entered this state by rising up from the 1st through 8th jhanas, then looking for the vibrating quality of experience 1) in sound or 2) in the energetic throbbing at the brow chakra. When I enter the state by rising up the jhanic arc, this putative-PL1 is much more energetic and intense, with a powerful pulse of bliss at the moment of entry. I can enter a weak version of the state simply by focusing on the brow chakra with gentle attention, however, and I've been able to do this consistently in daily life for the past couple of weeks.

I'm not sure if this is actually PL1, but whatever it is, it's nice having access to it. Compared to jhanas 1-8, this state is definitely preferable in terms of raw pleasure and feeling of wholesomeness. It also seems easier to sustain against distraction or in the midst of activity.
matthorn

Postby matthorn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:23 pm

Here are the articles I was referring to regarding instant access to PL1:
http://apracticejournal.wordpress.com/2 ... ic-states/
http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2010/01/bg ... lightened/
matthorn

Postby Russell » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:49 am

Just found this from my old log, not sure if it helps:

From 8th my focus moves up to the 3rd eye area. And starting from my legs I get very blissful vibrations that move up to my head and kind of engulf me. Feelings of intense bliss/gratitude. Feels like I am moving upward and almost floating off the floor, very light/floating feeling. My eyes rapidly move and I can't relax them that easily. When I try to relax them things calm down and it feels like I move out of the jhana. Dunno what handles PL2 has, so I don't know if I am shifting to that or moving back to 8th.

It's probably the most blissful state I have experienced. The afterglow can last a long time after a sit as well. Leaves me very chilled out.
Russell

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to General Dharma Talk